Young people today are incredibly lucky to have such a great range of tertiary courses to choose from. However, sometimes this can be overwhelming if they don’t start becoming familiar with what’s available. This should be done before reaching the final year at school.
Having a list of questions to think about when looking at tertiary courses can be useful especially when comparing similar courses at different institutions. Here are some of the most important questions to ask…
- What ATAR is required for this course and are there any prerequisites and other selection criteria?
- How is the course structured? Are there compulsory core subjects? Are there electives? What are these?
- Is it possible to incorporate electives from other faculties in this course?
- Are there any work placements or industry experience built into the course? Is there any additional cost associated with these or are students paid a salary by the employer?
- Are there any links/agreements with overseas institutions?
- Is the qualification recognized Australia-wide and overseas? Can some study can be completed overseas and credited toward this course?
- Are there any proposed changes being considered to the course?
- Are there postgraduate courses offered to enhance employment opportunities?
- Where have recent graduates found employment?
- Are there courses which pathway into this course if I am unable to secure a place in it immediately after completing my secondary education?