Young people often worry about choosing a career for the future. Access to a quick quiz and a fantastic careers website can give them insights into careers and help them think about what they want out of a future career.
Careers websites and careers quizzes can be overwhelming for young people if they are bombarded with too much detail. Here is a website that not only provides useful insights into careers, but also helps young people start thinking about their unique interests and preferences.
The Australian Government ‘Your Career’ website is certainly a great website to direct your teenager to.
On the home page, teens can click onto ‘Find your future career’. A very quick quiz will start them thinking about what they want out of a career. Teens highlight the areas that appeal to them.
What are your interests?
- Being creative
- Leading and guiding
- Solving problems
- Working outdoors
- Working with data and details
- Working with my hands
- Working with people
Do you have any deal breakers? (Optional)
- Irregular hours
- Physically demanding
- Requires driving
- Shift work
- Working outdoors
Do you have an industry in mind? (Optional)
Teenagers may have a few they want to nominate or they can leave this unanswered.
What results are provided after these questions?
The answers will then generate a list of careers that may suit the teenager. These are ranked in order of which careers best fit the answers provided.
For each career, students are given…
- Estimated pay per week – most young people are interested in this!
- Future outlook – Is there a shortage of people in this area?
- A great summary of the day-to-day activities involved…
- Insights into qualifications required as well as links to courses…
- Current vacancies – These are real vacancies and students can actually go in and see the job advertisements etc. This really allows students to see current opportunities and what employers are looking for as far as skills and other experience are concerned.
Another exciting feature of this website
If teens click onto the tab ‘Occupations’ on the Home page, they can find a list of careers from A-Z. When students choose a particular career, they once again have access to great information about what each career actually involves. Sometimes students have formed impressions from TV programs and these do not match the reality.
We know that knowledge is power and this website can empower students to really dig deeper and reflect on various careers and whether these would really appeal to them.